Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Lance Berkman's Thoughts on the NL Central

Lance Berkman, or the Big Puma (yeah, I know, pretty lame for a nick name), was on the Mad Dog show today on Sirius XM before his Astros took on the Cincinnati Reds and gave a great interview. Included in that interview, he gave his thoughts on how the NL Central would end up this year. Here are some of his thoughts...

(I was in the car, so I didn't get to write down exactly what he said as he said it, but these "quotes" are exactly how he put things if not worded exactly how he said them)

On the Cubs...

"Clearly the Cubs are the favorites. Not only on paper, but what they did in the offseason as well, with Bradley. They have great starters, a great bullpen, and great balance in the lineup. Everyone will be trying to replace them as the best."


On his own Astros...

"I really like our lineup, we're going to score runs. I think our pitching can be good baring injuries, but obviously that's our big question mark. Mike Hamilton and Russ Ortiz might both be great if they can stay healthy. I mean Ortiz won 17 games a year with a 3 era for five seasons. Then Wandy Rodriguez and Brian Moheller, and he was great for us last year. Pitching is our question mark, for sure, but I think we can be good. Definitely we're right there in that next tier of teams."


On the Cardinals...

"With Tony LaRussa, they'll always compete. And with a guy like Pujols and with Chris Carpenter coming back from injury, they could be good. And obviously with Tony LaRussa as their manager, they'll compete. LaRussa's teams always compete."


On Cincinnati...

"I think they're going to be real good. Obviously the pitching. They have great young arms, and they have a lot of young talent. I think they're going to be good, right there with us."


On Milwaukee...

"I think they're going to take a step back. They lost guys. They're not going to be what they where last year, I'd put them below us and the Reds and the Cards."


And on Pittsburgh...

"Well. They're the Pirates."


You can't argue with him there.

Very interesting thoughts, and I agree with a lot of them. Just thought I'd share the thoughts of Houston's Berkman on our division.

No comments:

Post a Comment